Soil and Natural Life
Sandfield. In 1793 there were two fields called Sand Field, one called Great Sandfield and another Little Sandfield. On the present day map they are divided into Sandfield, Brierly Furlong and Home Close. The land is very sandy, as the name tells us, and in earlier times was thought more suitable for grazing sheep rather than the arable land it now is.
Lyme Hill. This may refer to burning limestone to make quick lime. Sometimes, though, it is a corruption of ‘lyn’, flax. It appears as Lime Hill in 1628 but is listed as a coppice. It changes its name slightly in 1703 to become Lyne Hill, which it maintains in the 1919 map but has changed back to Lyme Hill by 2008.
Lockles. This is a name in 2008 which has relocated itself somewhat from 1703, where it is called Lockwell and Lockwell Plain. Ann Cole is of the opinion that it refers to a spring: Lock Well, since there is a spring in the field originally called Lockwell. It has now been incorporated into Hange. Lockwell Plain and Seed Leys in 1703 are now known as Lockles.
Furze is a name which has over the intervening centuries become Fuzz. When land was enclosed sometimes fields were planted with cover for foxes, to ensure good hunting. This may apply to the Furze pasture identified in 1703. Hunting was still part of the village scene in the 1900s when the Squire, Mr Parsons, took some of the older boys out of school to help with the hunt and the shoot.
Bendbrook is a name which is no longer in use. It was farmed in 1703 by a Mrs G. Fellowes and is now called Stretchfield.
<< Prev Next >>